Thursday, December 30, 2010

A day late but not a dollar short.

Christmas is my favorite time of year. I have so many great memories from from my childhood and a lot of those memories are from the holidays. The decorations, the food, the family and of course the giving and receiving of presents. I hope to create the same lasting memories for my children.

My husband's job requires him to work odd hours and holidays. He was supposed to be home on Christmas morning but found out he did indeed have to work. Both he and I grew up celebrating Christmas on Christmas morning. We threw around the idea of doing everything on Christmas Eve or after he got home from work on Christmas but it just didn't feel right. So we agreed...we'll just do Christmas a day late. We'll have Christmas Eve on Christmas and then Christmas on the 26th. Our oldest son is still too young to know the difference so we wanted to keep with tradition.

So on the evening of the 25th we made cookies for Santa and opened the traditional one present each. We then read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and tucked the boys in tight for the night.



We woke up on Christmas morning, Santa had come and we still had our "Christmas morning" as a family. We were able to celebrate Christmas in our own time and in our own way. It may have been harder for us to have to wait an extra day than it was for the kids. I must say though, it was well worth the wait.


I'm sure one day, when the kids are older and wiser, we will have to open presents without Dad. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there. But as for this year, I'm glad we could pull it off. As for New Years...I don't think I've been awake at 12 am on New Years Day since Jacob was born. At this point in my life I can't imagine a better way to ring in the New Year than cuddled up next to my husband in a peaceful slumber....ahhhhhh :)

No comments:

Post a Comment