Saturday, December 25, 2010

One of those times...

So I'm going to kind of go out of order here. My second son, Charlie, was born on April 20th of this year. During the last trimester of my pregnancy I was going to the bathroom a lot. I'm not going to get too graphic here, but we're talking over 15 times a day. The Dr.'s couldn't really tell me what was wrong since they couldn't do all of the tests and treatments they wanted to since I was pregnant. It finally started to improve after about six weeks (I know, SIX WEEKS). His birth was perfect, very quick and problem free. We brought my little guy home and assumed it must have just been something about this particular pregnancy that caused me to have that kind of reaction. Anyway, about two months later it hit me again like a ton of bricks. Only this time it was accompanied by horrible cramping and pain. I became dehydrated and after a few days decided to go to the hospital. They did a CT scan and said I had colitis (inflamed colon) and send me home with a couple prescriptions for antibiotics and told me to follow up with my GI doctor. The antibiotics didn't help so my GI set me up for a colonoscopy. Long story short, I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and prescribed steroids to get rid of the inflammation and another drug that I would be taking for a lifetime. I had to stop breastfeeding and was devastated. I had been healthy as a horse up to this point with no history of this in my family. But I digress...

Back to my point. Charlie sort of got lost in the shuffle during this time. He had different people caring for him, he was suddenly switched from breast to bottle, he went from sleeping next to me to sleeping in his crib and he took it all in stride. He has been the easiest and most accommodating baby ever. I'm so thankful to have been blessed with such a great little guy. He turned 8 months old on the 20th of this month and I could not be happier to have him in my life. He is the kind of baby that makes you want to have a million babies (okay, maybe just three or four).

Which brings me to what made me want to write this post in the first place. One of my favorite times of the day early in the morning with him. He usually wakes up before his older brother and we cuddle up on the couch under a blanket as I drink my coffee and watch the news. He is perfectly content to be snuggled up next to me with no toys or books or other baby entertainment. Just me, his Mom. My heart melts when I look down at him and he looks me in the eye. I see all of the unconditional love that I have for him reflected back at me in his gaze. In that moment, I see a little boy who is the center of my world and me the center of his and I wouldn't trade this moment for anything.


No comments:

Post a Comment